LandSec plans £1bn Victoria office fund

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

Continue reading

Cutbacks and falling morale cripple VOA

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

Continue reading

Building design: Towering achievement

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

Continue reading

Quinlan private

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

Continue reading

Property plays big role in New Star flotation

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

Continue reading

Trump abruptly replaces acting chief of staff Mulvaney with North Carolina lawmaker

first_img“I am pleased to announce that Congressman Mark Meadows will become White House Chief of Staff. I have long known and worked with Mark, and the relationship is a very good one,” Trump said on Twitter.”I want to thank Acting Chief Mick Mulvaney for having served the Administration so well. He will become the United States Special Envoy for Northern Ireland. Thank you!” said Trump.Trump had long groused about Mulvaney, who angered the president last autumn by saying at a White House news conference that Trump had sought to persuade Ukraine to investigate Democratic rival Joe Biden by withholding US aid to Ukraine.What Mulvaney said ran counter to the argument Trump was advancing – that there was no “quid pro quo” with Ukraine. Mulvaney quickly walked back the statement, but the damage was done.Mulvaney, a conservative former South Carolina lawmaker, did last more than a year as acting chief of staff after replacing retired General John Kelly, who had succeeded Reince Priebus in the job.A source familiar with the situation said both Mulvaney and Meadows flew aboard Air Force One with Trump to North Carolina on Monday and there was little warmth between the two men. Trump did not speak to Mulvaney, the source said.Meadows announced in December he would not run for re-election this year in his North Carolina district.”This was the most orchestrated personnel change so far. Since the Northern Ireland deal was announced at the same time, this was clearly a mutual decision,” said Sean Spicer, Trump’s former White House press secretary.Spicer said Meadows had a clear understanding of Trump’s style and agenda.Meadows chaired the conservative House Freedom Caucus from 2017-2019. Mulvaney was named acting chief of staff in December 2018 and Trump never made the appointment permanent.  President Donald Trump parted ways on Friday with acting White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney and replaced him with conservative lawmaker and close ally Mark Meadows, who was a strong Trump defender during the Democratic impeachment drive.Representative Meadows takes over as the White House struggles to advance a consistent message about the coronavirus crisis and as Trump goes into a bruising re-election contest.He becomes the fourth chief of staff in Trump’s three years in office, tasked with attempting to bring order to a chaotic presidency. Topics :center_img Meadows is a member of the US House of Representatives from North Carolina and was a combative defender of the president during the impeachment saga, so much so that Trump singled him out for praise at a Feb. 6 event after the Republican-led Senate acquitted the president. “He’s a tremendously talented man, not just as a politician. As a human being, he’s incredible,” Trump said at the time.Trump named Mulvaney to be his special US envoy to Northern Ireland, just as he prepares to welcome Irish Prime Minister Leo Varadkar to Washington for St. Patrick’s Day ceremonies later this month.A former senior administration official said the change had been a long time in the works and was a “done deal” some time ago.Trump announced the Friday night move just after arriving at his Mar-a-Lago Club in Palm Beach, Florida, where he is spending the weekend.last_img read more

Continue reading

New York postpones St Patrick’s Day parade over coronavirus fears

first_imgNew York City has postponed its annual St Patrick’s Day parade over the global coronavirus pandemic, officials said late Wednesday, days after other events in US cities were canceled.State governor Andrew Cuomo said the decision was taken after a meeting with parade organizers.”One of the most effective ways to contain the spread of the virus is to limit large gatherings and close contacts, and I applaud the parade’s leadership for working cooperatively with us,” said New York state governor Andrew Cuomo in a statement. New York’s St. Patrick’s Day parade is the largest in the United States and typically attracts two million spectators.The event has been held annually for more than 250 years and Wednesday’s announcement marked the first time it would not be held as scheduled, the New York Times reported. Officials said the parade would be held at a later date. “I know this decision didn’t come easy, so I’ll make this promise: this is a postponement, not a cancellation,” said Mayor Bill de Blasio. Boston’s mayor on Monday announced the cancelation of his city’s St Patrick’s Day parade, which was expected to attract around one million attendees. Topics :last_img read more

Continue reading

India and coronavirus: lucky escape or emergency ahead?

first_imgTesting times Jha said India should be testing many more people at its 52 facilities nationwide.South Korea has been conducting around 10,000 tests per day, or 220,000 in total as of Wednesday, more than 40 times that of India.But K. K. Aggarwal, a former Indian Medical Association president, said the official number of those infected is “absolutely correct” and that India is doing enough.”The practice is to examine symptomatic patients,” as is the case for example in Iran and Italy, Aggarwal told AFP.And India’s healthcare system has shown itself capable before.During an outbreak of the much deadlier Nipah virus in Kerala in 2018, deaths were kept to 17 and human-to-human transmission successfully contained.”I am quite hopeful that in another 10-15 days things will settle down,” said Rajan Sharma, national president of the medical association.The coming hot season may help, Aggarwal added.”SARS and MERS all reduced when summer came. Maybe the heat and humidity will kill the virus,” he said. Topics : Tough border  India on Friday imposed some of the world’s toughest border measures in the current crisis, barring most foreigners and suspending visa-free access for millions from the vast diaspora.Those arriving, including Indians, who have travelled to virus hotspots such as China and Italy must be quarantined for 14 days. At land borders there is “robust screening”.More than a million air passengers have been screened and authorities have stepped up efforts to identify those with the virus and people in contact with them.Hotels in tourist destinations such as Rajasthan have told foreigners to get health certificates. “We waited two hours at a hospital,” a woman named Selina from Germany told AFP.All mobile calls begin with a recorded health message, preceded by coughing, while social media, newspapers and television carry advice.Top sports events are being played to empty venues, while the start of the Indian Premier League — cricket’s most lucrative competition — has been postponed.Masks and hand sanitizer have sold out in many chemists and online.”We are running 24 hours to produce as much as we can,” said Ashish Kotadiya at a mask factory in Ahmedabad.Domestic flight bookings have plunged 16 percent and tickets are on sale for under $15 on many routes.Firms such as Google in Bangalore have asked staff to work at home, while Chinese phone maker Xiaomi, India’s top brand, has cancelled new product launches. “One girl was tested positive for coronavirus and hence my entire team at Accenture is working from home,” said Vaishnavi S., an employee with the consultancy in Pune. Virus paradise Prime Minister Narendra Modi tweeted that India could “break the chain” in the spread of the virus, but in many ways the country is a paradise for infectious diseases.Some 70 million people live in extreme poverty, many in teeming unhygienic slums where working from home or “social distancing” is not an option.Around 420 people are crammed into every square kilometer of India compared to 148 people in China. Millions also move about internally to find work.Health spending is among the world’s lowest at 3.7 percent of GDP, according to Bloomberg News. Some 70 percent of Indians live in rural areas where healthcare is patchy.center_img “It’s hard to imagine there are only so few cases in India,” Ashish Jha, director of the Harvard Global Health Institute, told AFP.”India’s a big country where a lot of people live in very close, compact spaces. It is unclear to me why India would somehow magically skip this pandemic.” Cow dung Some experts say India is not doing enough to create awareness about the coronavirus or to reduce public gatherings.Holi, the recent Hindu festival where people smear paint on each other’s faces, still saw big crowds in many places. Wedding season also appears largely unaffected.There has been some distinctly unscientific advice, with one government ministry pushing homoeopathic and ayurvedic medicine, and social media awash with disinformation.Some lawmakers from Modi’s party have extolled cow dung and urine, while the chief minister of the most populous state, Uttar Pradesh, suggested yoga could offer protection. Despite being poorer and more densely populated than China and having a shakier healthcare system, India has officially recorded only 81 cases of the coronavirus and just one death.This has raised hopes that the virus that has infected more than 130,000 people and killed 5,000 worldwide might largely pass the world’s second-most-populous nation by.But with only about 5,000 Indians tested, some experts doubt the official figures and warn that if there is a major outbreak, the country of 1.3 billion is woefully unprepared.last_img read more

Continue reading

Tokyo stocks open higher on virus stimulus measures

first_img“Gains will likely continue on expectations for an autonomous rebound after sharp drops in recent sessions and expectations for large-scale US economic stimulus.””On the other hand, worries over the further spread of the new coronavirus in Europe will continue to weigh on the market,” it added.The dollar fetched 107.48 yen in early Asian trade, against 107.64 yen in New York late Tuesday.In Tokyo, major exporters were higher, with Toyota surging 4.65 percent to 6,661 yen, Sony soaring 6.01 percent to 6,184 yen, and Olympus rallying 6.40 percent to 1,511 yen. Tokyo stocks opened higher on Wednesday, extending rallies on Wall Street as the US and European governments signalled more stimulus measures to address the economic hit from the coronavirus.The benchmark Nikkei 225 index was up 1.18 percent, or 201.06 points, at 17,212.59 in early trade, while the broader Topix index edged up 1.29 percent, or 16.37 points, to 1,284.83.”Japanese shares are seen led by purchases on the backdrop of rallies in European and US bourses with… a cheap yen,” Mizuho Securities said in a note. Panasonic was up 0.88 percent at 732.2 yen while construction machine maker Komatsu was up 2.71 percent at 1,627.5 yen.SoftBank Group was down 8.81 percent at 3,329 yen after a report said the Japanese company may not buy $3 billion of shares in WeWork from existing investors as part of its planned bailout of the US-based co-working facilities provider.Japan posted a trade surplus of 1.1 trillion yen ($10 billion) last month but imports from China nearly halved from a year earlier, according to data released by the finance ministry 10 minutes before the opening bell.The drop in imports is seen as part of the impact of the coronavirus on economic activities, analysts said.On Wall Street, the Dow ended up 5.2 percent at 21,237.38.Topics :last_img read more

Continue reading

Congo records third new Ebola case from same infection chain: WHO

first_imgAll three of the new cases had visited the Horizon Healthcare Centre in Beni, Diallo said.The girl started showing symptoms only on April 11, meaning she has a good chance of survival and is not thought be very contagious, said Boubacar Diallo, deputy incident manager for the WHO’s Ebola response.”We think we will quickly contain this outbreak,” he said.It’s not yet clear how the first case, a 26-year-old electrician, contracted the virus. He had no known contacts with other Ebola patients and was not a survivor of the virus who could have relapsed, the government said on Friday.  The Democratic Republic of Congo recorded a third new Ebola case on Monday, a seven-year-old girl who had started showing symptoms after visiting the same health center as the two previous cases, the World Health Organization said on Monday.After more than seven weeks without a new infection, Congo had been due on Sunday to mark an end to the second-deadliest outbreak of the virus on record, until a case was confirmed on Friday in the eastern city of Beni.The response to the epidemic, which has killed more than 2,200 people since August 2018, has been hindered by public mistrust and militia attacks that prevented health workers from reaching some hard-hit areas. Topics :last_img read more

Continue reading